1900 – The original lot 23 was eventually subdivided into smaller acreages and market gardens and communities with names like Earnscliff and Silver Heights sprang up. (Silver Heights Park takes its name from one of these early hamlets.)
1907 – The Town of Strathcona became incorporated as a City and extended its boundaries far enough east that this area of lot 21 & 23 was annexed. It remained isoloated, though, until a bridge across Mill Creek was built at Whyte Avenue. In fact, even Premier Rutherford, who owned property in Bonnie Doon and had planned to build his official residence there, subdivided his land, instead, and purchased another acreage in Garneau.
1912 – Strathcona amalgamated with Edmonton.
1914 – The name Strathearn, which is Scottish Gaelic for “the valley of the river Earn”, or “the valley of the Irish”, has been used in official records in Edmonton since 1914 and is likely a reference to the Governor General of the day, Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn.
1921 – Posted by Dawn Saunders-Dahl
“Prominent Edmonton physician James Frederick Brander (1879 – 1963) came to Edmonton from Nova Scotia in 1921 and, along with his father George, soon established a peony garden in the Bonnie Doon area on an empty plot of land that George couldn’t stand to see go to waste. The Silver Heights Peony Garden, located at 93 Avenue and 85 Street in Bonnie Doon, was a major tourist attraction and the source of most of the peonies in Alberta from 1923 until the 1940s. Father and son proved that the soil and climate conditions in the area were ideal for the peony—which had previously been regarded as exotic and too delicate for the frigid north.
The first planting was small, but in later years as many as 5000 roots arrived from Holland in a single shipment. Altogether, 200 named varieties were grown and, in full flowering time, an estimated quarter of a million blooms could be seen. When George Brander died in 1933, his family continued the Peony Gardens until the Second World War made such large-scale flower operations impractical. The plants were dug up, divided into 50,000 roots and sold to gardening aficionados around Edmonton.
Located south Edmonton, Brander Gardens elementary school is named after Dr. James Brander.”
1944 – Below, is a photograph of a block of homes built in Strathearn. Prudham’s Hardware built all the homes on the west side of 91 St and east side of 92 St north of 95 Ave. This block of homes is largely intact today.